Memebox

Memebox

Monday, May 2, 2016

Allure Beauty Box (December 2015)

*UNLIKE MANY OF MY PREVIOUS BOXES, IN ORDER TO CATCH UP, THIS WILL ONLY BE AN UNBOXING UNLESS THERE'S SOMETHING EASY TO REVIEW*

Allure Beauty Box is one of my favorite subscription services. A little background:

"Allure editors uncover the most noteworthy beauty products on the market, from hair and makeup to skin care, fragrance, and more. Then, they personally try and review each product, hand-selecting the ones they love — and know you'll love, too. And finally, here comes the fun: a glossy red box is delivered directly to your doorstep filled with the expert-approved products that are sure to become your new favorites."

Here's what's included:
  • Five to seven deluxe-size beauty samples—so you can use each one more than once
  • Curated mix of skin, hair, and makeup products, as well as fragrance
  • Allure mini-mag, packed with in-depth beauty sample product reviews written by Allure editors
I really dig the mini-mag. Very professional and so much information on the products! Definitely the best, most descriptive tool I've seen in any box. Each page has a "What It Is," "How It Looks/Feels," "Why We Like It" and the retail price of the full-sized item. Some products have a "What It Does," as well as a "Key Ingredients" list. A lot of people have allergies or find certain ingredients affect their skin in negative ways, so I think this bonus information is great.

Here's what I received:

CHAPSTICK Total Hydration (0.12oz, $2.99 FULL-SIZE) - Age defying comes to lip care. 100% Natural, with Argan Oil, and Omegas 6 + 9. Clinically proven to provide healthier, more youthful looking lips.

KLORANE Dry Shampoo with Oat Milk (1oz, ~$6.67) - An aerosol dry shampoo for all hair types and colors. Degreases dirty hair. Key ingredients are corn and rice starches and silica to absorb oil and dirt.

Many people may complain about a drugstore product like ChapStick, but that's one brand I don't mind turning up in my beauty boxes. I can never have enough lip care. Especially since they constantly go missing, like pens and hair clips and socks. This feels really good, and has just the slightest vanilla scent. What I don't care for is dry shampoos. I have this thing about hand sanitizers versus washing my hands. Hand sanitizer to me is like pushing around germs, not cleaning your hands. Much in that same way, dry shampoos don't feel clean. I did smell it, and as Allure states it, "this white mist smells a little grandma."

POP BEAUTY Kajal Pen in Inky Purple (0.03oz, $10.00) - A dark-grayish-purple eyeliner that's flattering on light and dark eyes. The tip is somewhat wide, and while the formula is malleable, it's not particularly soft. 

SMASHBOX Photo Finish Foundation Primer Oil-Free (0.25oz, $9.00) - A primer for base and concealer that doesn't clog your pores. The thin, clear gel is weightless on skin. For a second you wonder if it somehow vanished between your fingers and your face. It has a slightly matte - but not dried out looking - finish.

YAY for purple eyeliner! I'm always getting blacks and have WAY too many. I'm obsessed with purple liner because they make my hazel-green eyes pop. Can't wait to try this. As far as the primer, well... I don't wear foundation or concealer. I'm one of those (don't be jealous) people who have an amazing complexion. So I'll be passing this on to a friend.

EAU THERMALE Avene Body Oil (1.69oz, $6.50) - An oil for very, dry, sensitive skin. Softens and hydrates your body as it helps alleviate that awful urge to scratch extra dry areas. Key ingredients include mineral oil and avocado oil.

SKINCEUTICALS C E Ferulic (~0.125oz, ~$0.68) - An antioxidant serum with a blend of vitamin C, vitamin E, and ferulic acid. Protects against free radicals and therefore wrinkles and sun damage. The clear, pale-yellow liquid has an almost smokey scent that fades quickly. It leaves a slightly sticky film until you apply moisturizer.

I'm not sure about the body oil. I don't have much dry skin, but it smells fresh and I love the brand. I've used their Thermal Spring Water, and that's lovely for a quick freshening of the face. I could've received any of three other samples from SkinCeuticals products - Resveratrol B E, Hydrating B5 Gel, or Blemish + Age Defense - but honestly it wouldn't have mattered. I almost only use kbeauty on my skin. I have a friend who will love this. I will say this in regards to the price... a full-size bottle (30ml) is $162. So even though my sample is on the cheapy side, it must be good stuff.

ILLUME Blackberry Absinthe Candle (1oz, ~$3.51) - A scented paraffin and soy wax candle. Notes of blackberry and orange with a hint of patchouli and sandlewood.

I've had Illume candles before. The one I received smelled like my granny. Not good. This one smells AMAZING! Just as described. I can't wait to burn it.

I calculate this December box to have a value of $39.35, which is about what I've come to expect. And this subscription has so much variety! Even though I won't use everything, I couldn't be happier. Can't wait to see what's next!

No comments:

Post a Comment