Memebox

Memebox

Monday, November 9, 2015

Allure Beauty Box (September 2015)

Allure Beauty Box is one of my favorite subscription services.  A little background:

"Allure editors uncover the most noteworthy beauty products on the market, from hair and makeup to skin care, fragrance, and more.  Then, they personally try and review each product, hand-selecting the ones they love — and know you'll love, too.  And finally, here comes the fun: a glossy red box is delivered directly to your doorstep filled with the expert-approved products that are sure to become your new favorites."

Here's what's included:
  • Five to seven deluxe-size beauty samples—so you can use each one more than once
  • Curated mix of skin, hair, and makeup products, as well as fragrance
  • Allure mini-mag, packed with in-depth beauty sample product reviews written by Allure editors


I really dig the mini-mag.  Very professional and so much information on the products!  Definitely the best, most descriptive tool I've seen in any box.  Each page has a "What It Is," "How It Looks/Feels," "Why We Like It" and the retail price of the full-sized item.  Some products have a "What It Does," as well as a "Key Ingredients" list.  A lot of people have allergies or find certain ingredients affect their skin in negative ways, so I think this bonus information is great.

Here's what I received:

KAPLAN MD Cellular Rejuvenating Concentrate (0.1oz, $17.00) - An anti-aging serum made without parabens, sulfates, petrolatum, caster oil, propylene glycol, mineral oil, PABA, animal ingredients, or animal testing.  Fights wrinkle and increases collagen, and has a faint apple scent.

PIXI BY PETRA Glow Tonic (0.5oz, ~$2.21) - An alcohol-free toner that exfoliates and brightens skin. Key ingredients are glycolic acid for exfoliation, aloe vera for soothing and softening, and witch hazel for antiseptic effect.

ERNO LASZLO Firmarine Bar Soap (0.6oz, ~$5.09) - A moisturizing soap that cleans and softens your skin.  Key ingredients include spirulina maxima (a moisturizing algae extract that contains iron, an essential fatty acid called GLA, beta-carotene, and vitamin V12), shea butter (hydrates), and vitamin E and C (antioxidants).

I chose to forgo using the Kaplan MD anti-aging serum.  Am I crazy you ask?  Apparently.  I have so many anti-aging serums that I just adore so someone else should enjoy this one.  The Pixi toner was lovely.  It smelled like the Cetaphil soap I love so much with a slight astringent.  It left my skin feeling tighter and soft simultaneously.  Definitely a must-have.  And last but not least, the Erno Laszlo bar soap.  The mini-mag claimed it to have an expensive-smelling beachy scent.  My husband and I laughed at that.  But I get it!  It's not all coconut oil and heavy sea breeze that's often WAY overdone.  You have to smell it to understand.  And my hands feel very soft, not dry, even after several uses.  I haven't tried it on my face yet.

TANGLE TEEZER ($15.00) - A handle-less plastic brush for detangling wet or dry hair.  The spiky disk fits in your palm and has pliable plastic bristles that glide through hair.

ALTERNA Replenishing Moisture Milk (0.85oz, $5.00) - A leave-in conditioning spray for hair made without parabens, sulfates, or phthalates.  Hydrates and adds shine to dry, brittle hair.  Key ingredients are dimethicone for smoothing, glycerin for moisturizing, caviar extract and vitamin C for adding glossiness and shine, and Seasilk marine botanical blend for damage-repairing.

My husband claimed the Tangle Teezer because he's all about his hair.  He grows it out for Locks for Love so I can't blame him.  He found it nice and soft.  It didn't pull his hair at all.  As far as Alterna products go, those are mine and mine alone.  It had a clean scent and leaves my hair soft and stylable.

SOAP & GLORY Pillow Plump XXL Lip Gloss in Pinkwell (0.13oz, ~$5.35) - A pale-pink gloss that claims to plump up your lips.  Opaque coral-pink in the tube, it goes on as a sheer petal pink that's unusually shiny and definitely sticky at first.  And though your brain may expect a mint or bubble gum scent, surprise!  It totally smells like chocolate.

JANE IREDALE Smooth Affair Facial Primer & Brightener (0.24oz, ~$6.78) - A moisturizing makeup primer.  It's as slippery as a serum, with a light-pink tint and a scent like fresh orange juice.  It provides as much moisture as a lightweight lotion,, packs in antioxidants and soothing ingredients, such as aloe and green-and white-tea extracts.  It's safe for sensitive and redness-prone skin.  If large pores are an issue, it blurs those remarkably well.  And it helps absorb excess oil, making it ideal for combination skin.

The Pillow Plump lip gloss... well, it does in fact go on as a pale pink and not coral, which is why I decided to use it (I do not like corals), and it is sticky at first, AND it does indeed smell like chocolate.  Beyond that... it burns, like the dickens!  My tongue very lightly touched my lips and it began burning as well.  Nor did I notice any plumping, so...

I calculate this September box to have a value of $56.43, which is OUTRAGEOUS.  And so much variety!  This is definitely the best box I've received, and I've gotten a lot of Allure boxes.  Even though I won't use everything, I couldn't be happier.  Can't wait to see what's next!

No comments:

Post a Comment