Memebox

Memebox

Thursday, September 3, 2015

Allure Beauty Box (August 2015)

Allure Sample Society recently separated from beautybar.com, and became the Allure Beauty Box, and is one of my favorite subscription services.  A little background:

"Allure editors uncover the most noteworthy beauty products on the market, from hair and makeup to skin care, fragrance, and more.  Then, they personally try and review each product, hand-selecting the ones they love — and know you'll love, too.  And finally, here comes the fun: a glossy red box is delivered directly to your doorstep filled with the expert-approved products that are sure to become your new favorites."
 
Here's what's included:
  • Five deluxe-size beauty samples—so you can use each one more than once
  • Curated mix of skin, hair, and makeup products, as well as fragrance
  • Allure mini-mag, packed with in-depth beauty sample product reviews written by Allure editors

I really dig the mini-mag.  Very professional and so much information on the products!  Definitely the best, most descriptive tool I've seen in any box.  Each page has a "What It Is," "How It Looks/Feels," "Why We Like It" and the retail price of the full-sized item.  Some products have a "What It Does," as well as a "Key Ingredients" list.  A lot of people have allergies or find certain ingredients affect their skin in negative ways, so I think this bonus information is great.

Here's what I received:

MALIN + GOETZ Peppermint Shampoo (1oz, $2.50) - A gentle clarifying shampoo with a knockout scent.  Produces heaps of minty lather that whisk away every last bit of grime, grease, and hair-product gunk.  Contains ammonium lauryl sulfate for cleansing, glycerin for moisturizing, panthenol for strengthening, and peppermint for removing buildup.

BUMBLE & BUMBLE Grooming Crème (0.5oz, $3.00) - A lightweight styling cream that smooths frizz, boosts waves if your hair has a slight bend, and adds texture to fine hair - in other words, it does a lot.  Contains PEG-10 soy sterol for softening, avocado and sweet almond oils for moisturizing, jojoba, castor and safflower seed oils for adding shine.




I have Malin + Goetz lip products, and love those.  This shampoo was okay.  It did smell lovely of peppermint.  Sure would've loved the matching conditioner since I don't have a peppermint conditioner to go with it.  It lathered well and left my hair feeling clean.  Now you could give me anything with Bumble and Bumble on the label and I'd be happy.  They are my second favorite brand for when I decide to accentuate my naturally wavy hair.  This has a delicious fresh scent and I love the texture.

EAU THERMALE AVENE Cleanance Gel Cleanser (1.69oz, $5.00) - A foaming cleanser for oily and acne-prone skin.  Lifts away grease and makeup without stripping skin; helps regulate oil production.  Key ingredients are zinc gluconate (soothes) and monolaurin (reduces oil production).

NUANCE SALMA HAYEK AM/PM Anti-Aging Super Cream (0.265oz, $3.78) - A medium-weight facial moisturizer that's packed with skin-protecting antioxidants.  Softens and plumps dry skin without feeling heavy.

I have an Avene refreshing mist that I love.  I liked this cleanser.  I don't suffer from oily skin or acne, but I do live in the Ohio Valley and the humidity is ridiculous right now.  So this is a great product to have this time of year.  I'm choosing to pass on the Nuance because I have so many wonderful Korean face creams that contain much fewer chemicals.

ALLURE & BUTTER LONDON Arm Candy Collection Nail Lacquer in The Sweet Spot (0.2oz, $7.50) - Seven-free color created by Allure in collaboration with Butter London.

BENEFIT They're Real Push-Up Liner (0.003oz, $1.80) - A gel eyeliner in an easy-to-use pen.  The innovative click pen delivers black gel eyeliner through a slit in its angled rubber tip.  It won an Allure Breakthrough Award for taking the hassle out of getting the results of a classic gel.



I'm passing on the mauve fingernail polish because I have several of the same color from Julep.  I'm wearing the liner along with Benefit's They're Real mascara.  I did not find it as easy to use as it claims, but after many corrections, I liked the dramatic effect it created.  I have a few of these and they will definitely get used.

I calculate this August box to have a value of $23.58.  Not as high as last month, but there was a very good mix of hair, face and makeup products.  The highest valued item is the nail polish that I won't use, so keeping that in mind, I'm still really happy with Allure's second box sans beautybar.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment