Memebox

Memebox

Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Allure Beauty Box (July 2015)

Allure Sample Society recently separated from beautybar.com, and became the Allure Beauty Box, and is one of my favorite subscription services.  A little background:

"Allure editors uncover the most noteworthy beauty products on the market, from hair and makeup to skin care, fragrance, and more.  Then, they personally try and review each product, hand-selecting the ones they love — and know you'll love, too.  And finally, here comes the fun: a glossy red box is delivered directly to your doorstep filled with the expert-approved products that are sure to become your new favorites."

Here's what's included:
  • Five deluxe-size beauty samples—so you can use each one more than once
  • Curated mix of skin, hair, and makeup products, as well as fragrance
  • Allure mini-mag, packed with in-depth beauty sample product reviews written by Allure editors

I really dig the mini-mag.  Very professional and so much information on the products!  Definitely the best, most descriptive tool I've seen in any box.  Each page has a "What It Is," "How It Looks/Feels," "Why We Like It" and the retail price of the full-sized item.  Some products have a "What It Does," as well as a "Key Ingredients" list.  A lot of people have allergies or find certain ingredients affect their skin in negative ways, so I think this bonus information is great.

Here's what I received:

OSCAR BLANDI Pronto Invisible Volumizing Dry Shampoo Spray (1.4oz, $7) - A clear dry shampoo for all hair types and colors.  Enables you to skip a wet shampoo (or several) by absorbing excess oil and adding volume to dirty hair.  It also gives some grip to clean hair.  This lightweight mist smells mostly of lemon verbena with a hint of sweet floral.

BUMBLE & BUMBLE Hairdresser's Invisible Oil Heat/UV Protective Primer (1oz, $3.18) - A light spray oil for all hair types.  Protects hair from heat and UV damage; adds shine and softness.  Ingredients include grape-seed oil, sweet almond oil, macadamia nut oil, coconut oil, argan oil, and safflower seed oil.




I have used Oscar Blandi's Texture & Volume Spray, and liked it very much.  I've had no success with dry shampoos, but this claims to give grip to clean hair as well, plus lemon verbena scented... I did like the smell of this so despite my original reservations, I'm going to keep and use this as a hair texturizer.  On to B&B... I LOVE THIS STUFF!  I have several samples and am always happy to have another.  It smells so beachy and leaves my hair shiny and soft.  Bumble and Bumble is definitely one of my top two go-to hair brands.

SUPERGOOP Defense Refresh Setting Mist Broad Spectrum Sunscreen SPF 50 (0.5oz, $4.12) - A mattifying makeup-setting spray with broad-spectrum sun protection.  Helps keep your makeup from doing a disappearing act, minimizes shine, and adds a little SPF insurance.

ESTEE LAUDER Advanced Night Repair Eye Serum Synchronized Complex II (0.14oz, $18.20) - An anti-aging serum for eye skin.  Addresses every vexing eye issue you could have - wrinkles, puffiness, dark circles, dryness and unevenness.  Ingredients include hyaluronic acid and caffeine.

I'm not exactly a super fan of Supergoop, but this setting mist smells lovely (rosemary, I suppose) and even though it leaves a matte-like finish, it also feels fresh and hey, SPF 50.  Yay for my pale ass!  I'm passing on the night repair eye serum.  I have a lot of lovely, more organic eye treatments that seem to be working really well for my 36-year old eyes.

ESTEE LAUDER Sumptuous Infinite Daring Length + Volume Mascara in Black (0.1oz, $12.38) - A mascara with fibers that add significant length to lashes and a little volume.  The plastic brush is a dream for anyone whose lashes tend to clump.  The short bristles are widely spaced, to separate each lash, and there's one longer row of teeth that act like a comb.

INVISIBOBBLE (3, $8) - An artificial resin hair tie.  Fine wavy hair, straight thick hair with enough extensions to make it thick - none of the testers had any kind of bump or ridge in their hair, even after hours of wear.

The Estee Lauder mascara may be my new favorite mascara ever.  Please excuse my big scary eyes and sloppy application.  This stuff goes on so easy, really does separate the lashes, has a dramatic effect with little effort.  FANTASTIC!  I can't say much for the Invisibobbles, other than I wish they had come in black.  I rarely wear my hair in a ponytail.  I'm more of a bun gal myself.  My husband has the most envy-inspiring, long, black, luscious hair, and he wears it in a pony most of the time.  Black Invisibobbles would've been perfect for him.

I calculate this July box to have a value of $52.88.  All of the products are good sizes, and I for the first Allure box not affiliated with beautybar.com, I think they did an amazing job.  Because this review is so late, I've just received my August box, and it looks equally tantalizing.  So far I believe Allure is doing just as well, if not better, on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment