Memebox

Memebox

Sunday, June 14, 2015

Hawaii Snack Box (June 2015)

Hawaii Snack Box is one of the newest monthly treat delivery subscription services.  For $19.99* (plus free U.S. shipping; $5.99 Canada), their snack program will allow you to sample local Hawaiian treats every month while receiving a taste of the culture, along with a fun word, phrase or recipe that teaches you about this beautiful island.
 
*The longer subscription you commit to, the cheaper the monthly fee.
 
Hawaii Snack Box kindly sent me this box to review, but all of the opinions expressed are uniquely mine.
 
That being said, I'm really glad I fell in love with this box because my uniquely expressed opinions are going to be nothing but flattering!
 
Each box comes with a handy info card that provides details about the products they've included for the month.
 
The Culture Card #1 contained really interesting information on the pronunciation of the Hawaiian language.  And I'm not kidding!  It was interesting.  Like, did you know that while all five vowels are used in the Hawaiian language, only seven consonants are?  I had no idea!  H, K, L, M, N, P, and W.  I'll be paying a lot more attention to that from now on.  Also, they have two special symbols.  The 'okina is a glottal stop, like an apostrophe, which symbolizes a short break in the word.  And the kahakō is a stress mark which appears over vowels only, and makes them sound slightly longer.  There's also a guide to pronouncing vowels and rules for Hawaiian words.  Look at me!  An old dog learning new tricks! Speaking of Hawaiian culture, here's one of my favorite songs sung by an angel whose name I can now pronounce, Israel Kamakawiwo'ole, just for your enjoyment.  It's truly divine.
 
 
 
Okay, now that you're all peaceful and happy, on to the food.

Hawaii's Local Buzz Natural Sea Salt Macadamia Nuts (3oz) - These are Hawaii's most popular nuts at their finest. Hawaii's Local Buzz dehydrates their macadamia nuts to keep the taste fresh, as if you just cracked the shell open. A slight hint of Hawaiian sea salt helps round out the flavor of these crunchy treats.
 
Oh, wow. I love macadamia nuts but I've never had them seasoned with sea salt. You get that rich, buttery flavor of macadamias roasted with salt... so savory. I didn't expect it.
 
Hawaii's Local Buzz Mango Mac Tropical Shortbread Cookie (1oz) - You're in for a treat with this Mango Macadamia Shortbread Cookie! It's made with two signature local ingredients; macadamia nuts give it a buttery, salty crunch, and mango coordinates perfectly with its tangy yet sweet flavor. This is just one of many melt-in-your-mouth cookie flavors by Hawaii's Local Buzz.
 
This is exactly what you should expect from a tropical shortbread cookie. Buttery, vanilla-y, crispy yet soft, sweet mango and slightly salty macadamia textures. Very tasty!
 
Hawaiian Natural Passion Fruit Orange Tea (2x) - These organic Hawaiian teas are infused with the tropical flavors and specifically formulated to be rich in antioxidants and low in caffeine. Passion fruit (lilikoi) and orange flavors give this tea a playful and refreshing essence.
 
Honestly... it's a little difficult to get down a cup full of hot tea in the Ohio Valley summer, outside temp 84°. But I did it. The passion fruit really showed through.  I used quite a few of the next product to achieve the sweetness I desired.
 
Big Island Bees Macadamia Blossom Honey Sticks (8 x 5g each) - Enjoy this honey cultivated from the south side of Hawaii Island, from bees which pollinated flourishing macadamia nut trees. This is a great sweetener for your tea, or a yummy snack by itself for a sweet pick-me-up.
 
Oh my, so delicious! I used several of these sticks to sweeten the tea that came in the box, but I also found the honey to be delightful on the salty macadamia nuts.
 
The Jade Company Li Hing Mui Cotton Candy (0.88oz) - Li Hing Mui is a popular treat in Hawaii, which has roots in Asian culture. It is a dried salty plum rolled in a flavorful, sweet powder. For this snack, The Jade Company has creatively mixed a popular fair ground staple with the sweet and salty flavors of Li Hing Mui by adding the powder topping to cotton candy.
 
This candy's interesting flavor and intriguing texture made for a new and exciting treat, but unfortunately aspartame is on the ingredient list, and aspartame causes me migraines so I'll have to eat it a bit at a time. But it will get eaten, because yum.
 
Hawaiian Host Dark Chocolate Mac Nuts (0.9oz) - Simple yet tasty. Dark chocolate covered macadamia nuts, simple and delicious.
 
Wonderful. Just wonderful. I like my macadamias with chocolate (although white chocolate is the best). However, the description states these are dark chocolate but the label says milk chocolate. Either way, delectable!
 
For a first box, I am sincerely impressed. There wasn't a thing in this box that I wasn't thrilled to try. The value of the products themselves from my calculations weren't terribly high, but bringing so much of Hawaii to my door is totally worth the price. I strongly recommend this box to anyone who likes experiencing new foods and new cultures.

No comments:

Post a Comment