Memebox

Memebox

Friday, May 1, 2015

The eSalon.com Experiment

In the ever-growing world of subscription services, we see new and exciting subs popping up every day.  And since the Internet seems to spy on everything we do online, the ads that display are more and more geared towards my interests in all things sub.  When I happened across a subscription for hair coloring, eSalon, I thought, why not?

eSalon was inspired by the idea that beautiful, quality hair color can be accessible without the uncertainties of retail products and the excessive expense of salons.

They take into account natural hair color, amount of gray hair, previous color applications, hair texture and condition, desired color, and other variables, so you get custom formulated hair color that you could never get off the shelf. There are literally thousands of color possibilities available, and eSalon can provide the best match with a hair color formula and Personalized Instructions customized for each individual client.

The patent-pending technology enables individual customization on a large scale. Their hair colors are not pre-stocked. Every order is custom blended, bottled and packaged, then sent to the client as soon as it's completed.

You start by answering some questions about your natural hair shade.  Do you dye your hair or use treatments?  How much of your hair is gray?  How well does your hair take coloring?  What is the length and style of your hair?  And then you choose from available colors that will work with your current hair.

Why are some color swatches not available?  Based on your natural (root) color, dyed color and hair texture, they determine which colors can be custom formulated for you to achieve optimal results.  It is not possible to lighten dyed hair without using harsh bleaching or color removing agents.

Sometimes I color my own hair, sometimes I have it done professionally, so this seems like a good in-between alternative to drug store hair dyes.  The price I believe is normally $24.95, which is considerably more expensive, but the customization is what you're paying for.  Also, and I don't know how long the offer will last, but you can get your first box for $10.

I selected light brown as my natural/dyed color, although if I was honest with myself, it's probably completely gray by now.  I guess we'll never know for sure.  And I chose a light brown-golden copper for my new color.  It's about the same, just a little brighter.  You can see my selections in the photos of the gorgeous lady above.

My box came with two hair coloring kits: a custom hair color for roots, and an enhancing gloss for ends.


They also included a kit which contained gloves, a color brush, stain guard (brilliant), stain remover (brilliant-er), their own Heart Lock It color-safe shampoo, and Love Unconditionally color-safe conditioner.


As you can see, I may have waited way too long between colorings.  GAH-ross.  Fortunately, I work from home and my hair is almost always in a bun when I go out.

I started out by putting my hair in two sections and applying the stain guard along my hair line, careful to not get it on the hair itself.  That would be bad for holding color.


Aren't I cute? 

Then I divided my hair into two additional sections to apply the color.

Per the instructions, I mixed the custom hair color for roots first.  It's supposed to stay on your hair for fifteen minutes longer than the enhancing gloss (25 minutes total).  I undid one section and began delicately applying the solution to my roots.  Then I realized, oh yeah, I'm really bad at this, so I took out the sections and went to town on my roots like a redneck!

Once thoroughly saturated, I set my timer for 15 minutes and mixed the enhancing gloss.  That was quick so then I had to amuse myself for the other 14 minutes.  I cannot express how NOT fast time passes when you're legally blind and can't have your glasses on.  Hence, my really bad Elvis impersonation and/or Flight of Seagulls tribute.  I haven't decided which.


Once that fifteen minutes was (almost) up, I applied the enhancing gloss and ballerina bunned my hair.  Ten more minutes of intensely watching the clock and finally I could shower.

Now, this was interesting.  They strongly suggested adding water to the remaining gloss and adding it to my hair as I washed out the dye.  Supposedly it helps to get incredible shine and even coloring.  Learning new stuff everyday!

I was really happy with the results.  The color was vibrant and my hair felt great.

eSalon uses only the highest-quality ingredients and pigments in their advanced salon grade formulas to deliver superior gray coverage along with rich, long-lasting, healthy hair color, including:

* Vitamin E helps condition dry hair & scalp
* Pro-vitamin B5 moisturizes hair
* Keratin gives hair strength & flexibility
* Silk amino acid strengthens & conditions the hair
* Soybean protein improves hair body & texture
* Aloe vera moisturizes, adds shine & manageability
* Chamomile moisturizes
* Wheat protein replenishes & strengthens the hair

Would I recommend eSalon?  ABSOLUTELY!  I got a much better home coloring experience than I would with a drug store brand.  Having said that, I LURVE getting my hair colored at the salon, because ohmigosh, having someone's hands playing with my hair and scalp... come on, that's almost as good as a spa day.  But for those in-between times when you don't have $100 to spend at the salon, this is a great alternative.  Two thumbs up!

No comments:

Post a Comment