Memebox

Memebox

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Allure Sample Society (April 2015) by beautybar.com

I was so pleasantly surprised with last month's Allure Sample Society beauty box by beautybar.com, I was as excited as could be to see the delivery notification for this month's.  I had seen the spoilers which included products from Jane Iredale, Marc Jacobs (love the fragrances), Benefit, and Bumble & Bumble.  All brands that I really admire.  A little background:

"Allure editors don't just obsess over beauty products — they uncover the groundbreaking, game-changing formulas making waves throughout the beauty sphere, from hair and makeup to skin care and fragrance."

"They do all the legwork so that you can do the fun part: open a glossy red box filled with five hand-picked, editor-tested products every month. Bonus: Allure editor-penned mini-magazine boasting in-depth reviews of each sample."

Here's what's included:
  • Five deluxe-size beauty samples—so you can use each one more than once
  • Curated mix of skin, hair, and makeup products, as well as fragrance
  • Allure mini-mag, packed with in-depth beauty sample product reviews written by Allure editors
  • $10 BeautyBar.com gift card to redeem on any $50 Beauty Bar purchase

I really dig the mini-mag.  Very professional and so much information on the products!  Definitely the best, most descriptive tool I've seen in any box.  Each page has a "What It Is," "How It Looks/Feels," "Why We Like It" and the retail price of the full-sized item.  Some products have a "What It Does," as well as a "Key Ingredients" list.  A lot of people have allergies or find certain ingredients affect their skin in negative ways, so I think this bonus information is great.

Here's what I received:

Benefit The Porefessional (0.1oz) - A makeup primer, velvety smooth, and with a faint peachy tint.  This silicone-based primer is the fastest way to make your pores less noticeable.

Jane Iredale Just Kissed Lip Plumper in Rio (0.2oz?) - A sheer brown lipstick that feels soft as a balm.  Unlike other plumpers, this formula is light on the tingle (it uses peppermint oil to stimulate blood flow) and heavy on the hydration.

Along with That Gal and Girl Meets Pearl, I already have POREfessional, but benefit is a great brand and their primers are some of the best I've used.  The picture on the left shows the little dollup I used, and the circle indicates where it has been rubbed in to eliminate noticeable pores.


The lipstick is WONDERFUL!  I know a lot of bloggers who have great distaste for brownish lipsticks, but I love them.  Always have.  I like a bold eye and a bronzy nude tinted lip.  And this one is beautiful.  The color and the smell reminded me of, well, a beach, like "Rio".  The sensation on my lips is ever so light, as if I'd applied a mint balm.

Marc Jacob Daisy Dream EDP (0.04oz) - An airy floral fragrance with notes of blackberry, grapefruit, pear, jasmine, lychee, blue wisteria, white woods, musk and coconut water.  Summery, carefree, and dreamy.

Bumble and Bumble Hairdresser's Invisible Oil (0.07oz) - An oil for all hair types that enhances shine, prevents frizz, and smooths flyaways.  Key ingredients are argan, coconut, macadamia nut, sweet almond, and grape seed oils.  This oil soaks in, leaving hair soft, not greasy.

There aren't many Marc Jacobs's fragrances that I haven't tried... but this is one!  I adore Daisy, Eau So Fresh, Honey and Oh Lola, so yeah... why haven't I tried this?  There's a lot going on with this fragrance.  I don't particularly care for it as much as the others.  It's just too fruity for me.  I have a big bottle of the hair oil.  Bumble and Bumble is one of my favorite brands, especially when I feel like going curly-headed, but I'm afraid other subscribers really won't get much sense of what this can do with such a tiny sample.

Illume Tonka Noir candle (30ml) - A scented paraffin and soy wax candle with notes of mandarin, plum, rose, jasmine, Tonka bean, musk, sandalwood, and Madagascar vanilla.

Mt. Sapola Lavender-Chamomile Body Lotion (0.6oz) - A scented body lotion that moisturizes skin with key ingredients of lavender and chamomile essential oils.

The candle is very potent, a pleasant blend of florals and spices, with the primary scent being vanilla.  I was pleased to see a candle included in this box.  That's not something I'm used to seeing in a typical "beauty" box.  The lotion is not too thick and is silky, but wow!  Um... you've got to really love lavender and chamomile to use this as a moisturizer.  Because they crammed as much of it as possible into this lotion.  I'm probably going to cut this with a non-scented lotion to keep the essence, but avoid giving myself a massive headache.

I had to do a lot of research to find an estimated value of this month's Beauty Box.  My calculations have it at about $16.85 and the box costs $15, so the value isn't fantastic this month, and the samples were exceptionally tiny.  On the other hand, it is showcasing a good variety of products and brands, all very reputable.  Despite already having two of the items in my arsenal, and two I didn't care for, I wasn't disappointed.  I got to try a great new lipstick and now I have a pretty smelling candle for relaxing.  I bet other bloggers have a lot more to say, and probably not as positive as me.  If I had to guess, I imagine next month's will be really great.

No comments:

Post a Comment