Memebox

Memebox

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Walmart Beauty Box (Spring 2015)

Last season I said that this box is one big crap-fest, and that I would be saving my five dollar shipping fee for other beauty boxes going forward.  So I thought I canceled my subscription but apparently not.  I believe I have rectified that now.

Having said that, this quarter's box is significantly better than last time.  However, they did not include any makeup items, and there were still a lot of carded samples.

Honestly, this is what you should expect from a Walmart Beauty Box.  Of course, you're getting retail store products.  It would be ridiculous to expect high-end department store products or specialty brands, especially when you're only paying $5 for shipping and nothing else.  It's just that last quarter's was SO BAD, it wasn't even worth the shipping cost.

More than anything else, the reason I'm canceling (in addition to the craptastic Winter box) is that I'm spending more on subscription boxes that do provide higher quality products that I'm ending up with just massive amounts of drugstore samples.  I'll never use them all, and will always choose the designer brands when I'm reaching for something new.  For me, it's a waste of money, even though it is fun.

The products I received were:

Olay Regenerist Luminous Tone Perfecting Cream (plus $3 off coupon)

This foil packet is 0.02oz, which is super tiny.  Too tiny, in fact, to even begin to see if it does anything beneficial to your skin.  Olay would do much better to send out a deluxe sample if they really want people to try and buy the cream.

Nivea In-Shower Body Lotion (plus $1 off coupon)

This foil packet is a reasonable 0.31oz size for this type of product.  It's definitely different.  Nivea is a respectable brand and I've never heard of an in-shower body lotion.  Wash, apply and rinse.  That's certainly easy enough to try.

Loreal Paris Age Perfect Glow Renewal Facial Oil

This packet has no size on the packaging but it's probably about 0.1oz.  The ingredients aren't horrible and there are a lot of enticing oils in the formula.  Still, it's hard to determine if you're interested in buying a full-size product from a sample that's so small.  I'll probably try it.

Garnier Ultra-Lift Miracle Sleeping Cream (plus $2 off coupon)

Again, no size available, but this also looks to be around 0.1oz.  While Garnier is definitely a drugstore brand, they do seem to be a little more aware of using natural ingredients and this includes hyaluronic acid, which has become a staple of high-end skincare products.  Once again, too small to judge, but since it's only goal is to make your skin look not-so-fatigued the next day, the one-time use is fine.

Loreal Paris Total Repair 5 Restoring Shampoo & Conditioner

Each of these are 1.7oz, which is a nice size for at least two washings, hair-length depending.  It's for damaged, overworked hair and rebuilds fibers, strength, vitality, silkiness and shine.  These are the perfect size samples to see if this is a product you'd be interested in.


Caress Fine Fragrance Body Wash in Adore Forever

This is a good sample size as well.  1.8oz should get you a few showers to figure out if you like the formula.  I smelled it and it is a very nice, fresh, clean smell.  It claims to have a 12-hour fragrance release due to "fragrance release pearls" which releases a burst of perfume every time you touch your body, all day.  Very interested to see how that works.

Dial 7 Day Moisturizing Lotion

There's no information on the tube other than that it provides soft skin for up to 7 days after two weeks of use.  Hmm... that's a confusing concept to me.  Will I use this for two weeks, then not have to moisturize for a week, then repeat process?  What am I moisturizing?  Because the 0.5oz sample, while respectable, is not going to last two weeks.  Think I'll toss this in my purse to use as a hand cream.  It smells nice, like a berry citrus.

Lady Gaga Fame Black Fluid EDP

0.04oz is a typical perfume sample size and usually the wearer can get a week's worth of spritzes or more.  I found the fragrance description to be very Lady Gaga-esque.  Check it out: Tears of Belladonna, Crushed Heart of Tiger Orchidea, with a Black Veil of Incense, Pulverized Apricot, and the combinative essences of Saffron and Honey Drops.  It's a pretty juvenile scent.  Pretty but entirely too sweet for a grown woman.

Burt's Bees Renewal Intensive Firming Serum (plus $3 off coupon)

I was super amped when I opened the box and saw a Burt's Bees product, because I have loved them ever since I bought the first lip balm they put out in Cracker Barrel stores.  Oh, how they have grown.  Unfortunately upon further investigation I realized that this was an extra tiny 0.06oz sample, and of a serum.  I'll give it a shot, because it is Burt's Bees, but I doubt I see any significant results from such a teeny amount.

Also included was a $5 off coupon for Women's Rogaine Foam, which fortunately I won't be needing, a $2 off coupon for any Loreal Paris cosmetic purchase (ironic because I was checking out their Infallible Silkissime Eyeliner in plum and pure purple, and a violet mascara from them as well), and a pre-sale flyer for a NAKED-knockoff eyeshadow pallet by Maybelline called "The Blushed Nudes".

This was good... no, great, for a Walmart Beauty Box.  The few other bloggers who have posted about it got the same stuff I did, so I must've not been at the bottom of the list like I was last time.  So far I haven't seen any variations.  Hopefully if you subscribe, you'll get the items I did, because I was not disappointed.

5 comments:

  1. I saw 2 other variations on makeuptalk- both of them had Hard Candy lip crayon in them. Not entirely sure which of the 3 variations I would prefer...none of them are wowing me. :( I mean...It's $5 I get it, but a lot of the stuff they sent in your box is free sample status, y'know? The L'Oreal shampoo/conditioner I must have had at least 10 sets of samples of that line since it came out a year or so ago. I might cancel mine too but idk...$20 a year just seems like no big deal- especially if I can make fun of it on the blog LOL

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hahahaha! I think for $5, it's okay (at least this time). But like Test Tube, I feel it's more for beginners. I'm 36. I've done the drugstore thing. I use Biolage, Nexxus and Ouidad. I guess I'm a spoiled snob, but this stuff just isn't for me anymore. I'm too old to play around with products that just don't deliver on their promises.

      Delete
  2. Haha! I got this same box! You're totally right, though. This is what you should expect from this box. I think I expected too much and this one was a total dud for me.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Did you get the Winter box? This one blows that one out of the water!

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete