Memebox

Memebox

Thursday, March 19, 2015

Allure Sample Society (March 2015) by beautybar.com

I was pretty excited to receive my first Allure Sample Society box.  I had heard there would be a deluxe sample of benefit's Roller Lash mascara, which is the newest mascara that people have been raving about.  For $15 per month, that was enough to make me jump into another subscription.  And it was pretty good!  I'm going to hold on to this subscription a few months to see how they do compared to some others that I have been less than impressed by.  A little background:

"Allure editors don't just obsess over beauty products — they uncover the groundbreaking, game-changing formulas making waves throughout the beauty sphere, from hair and makeup to skin care and fragrance."

"They do all the legwork so that you can do the fun part: open a glossy red box filled with five hand-picked, editor-tested products every month. Bonus: Allure editor-penned mini-magazine boasting in-depth reviews of each sample."

Here's what's included:
  • Five deluxe-size beauty samples—so you can use each one more than once
  • Curated mix of skin, hair, and makeup products, as well as fragrance
  • Allure mini-mag, packed with in-depth beauty sample product reviews written by Allure editors
  • $10 BeautyBar.com gift card to redeem on any $50 Beauty Bar purchase
I really dig the mini-mag.  Very professional and so much information on the products!  Definitely the best, most descriptive tool I've seen in any box.  Each page has a "What It Is," "How It Looks/Feels," "Why We Like It" and the retail price of the full-sized item.  Some products have a "What It Does," as well as a "Key Ingredients" list.  A lot of people have allergies or find certain ingredients affect their skin in negative ways, so I think this bonus information is great.

Here's what I received:

Juice Beauty Green Apple Age Defy Moisturizer (0.5oz) - An anti-aging moisturizer loaded with organic ingredients. Brightens and smooths skin.  Key ingredients are Vitamin C, alpha hydroxyl acids, peptides, coenzyme Q10, vitamin A, shea butter and jojoba.

Oscar Blandi Pronto Texture & Volume Spray (1.5oz) - A dry texturizing spray.  Adds volume, makes dirty roots appear clean, and boosts waves.  Key ingredients are VP/VA copolymer, zeolite, hydrolyzed keratin and wheat protein.

The facial moisturizer was described as smelling like plastic, but I didn't find that to be the case whatsoever.  It was a little bit strange, but not offensive.  It was a good moisturizer.  I'd been wanting to try the Juice Beauty products for a while so I was pleased with the inclusion and with the results.  Wow!  I was totally expecting the spray to be a hair spray.  I stay away from hair styling products for the most part, so I wasn't thrilled, and when I started spraying, it came out so fast I was certain my hair was going to be soaked with sticky/hard gunk.  But that was not the case at all!  My hair stayed soft, the product smelled lovely, and it did exactly what it claimed to... added volume and texture.  I won't use it all the time, but I'm glad to have it in my arsenal.

Benefit Roller Lash Mascara (0.1oz) - A mascara that lengthens, curls and volumizes.  This mascara is blacker and glossier than many others we've used, and its curved plastic wand and rubbery handle are easy to maneuver.


I chose to take the picture from under my face because my lashes tend to blend in with the crease of my eye.  This was a much better mascara than benefit's other popular "they're real" line.  While that gooped up and was nearly impossible to remove, this lifted and separated my lashes with a dramatic look.  This isn't an everyday mascara for me, but I like it... a lot.

Malin + Goetz Mojito Lip Balm (0.2oz) - A clear lip balm.  While it doesn't offer any SPF, it does hydrate well enough to treat chapped lips.  Key ingredient is hydrogenated polyisobutene fatty acids.


Cargo Essential Lip Gloss in Prague (0.08oz) - A sheer, moisturizing lip gloss that comes in 15 shades.

The lip balm was nice.  It had a very light lime mint flavor.  Nothing to write home about, but I'll use it happily.  The lip gloss isn't really my color and usually I would have put it in the swap/giveaway pile, but I was feeling adventurous.  The color was much less severe than I thought it would be.  Actually kind of a nice accent to my own natural lip color, but the formula was sticky.

This month's Beauty Box is worth $49.76 and costs only $15, so the value is great.  I'll use everything in it except maybe the gloss.  I cannot wait to see what comes in next month's box.

6 comments:

  1. You should totally rock that gloss- it looks great on you!!
    I have always really liked Sample Society- I subscribe on and off throughout the year because sometimes I just have TOO much stuff- but I've never been incredibly disappointed with them. For only $5 more a month, they blow birchbox out of the water in terms of sample sizes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They do. Birchbox can be great, but they can also be terrible. Sample Society, I'm giving a limited trial. If they continue to impress, I'll keep them. The gloss is just so sticky though. :(

      Delete
  2. I have been debating about getting this subscription- I have been getting Boxycharm for a while now and have not been impressed with the last few months so I kind of started looking around at others and this is the one I keep going back and looking at! Your review was great I really like that you showed what that mascara looks like when weraing it! The texture volume spay sounds great! I just may switch to this box if this months Boxycharm is a miss again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the feedback! Kloverbox is another interesting one to look at. I haven't tried it but the blog reviews I read are very flattering.

      Delete
  3. This is a great box! I used to be subscribed to them a couple years ago but it was almost all skincare and they were super luxury brands so the samples were TINY. Allure def. stepped up their game by making this box more fun with makeup! p.s. I'm stopping by from the Best of Beauty Link-Up

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for stopping by! Yeah, I was pretty happy with this box. Even blew Glossybox out of the water this month.

      Delete